Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week 2. Let the sculpting begin!

After modeling my low poly base mesh in Maya and importing it into Z-Brush, I was ready to begin the process of blocking in my character.

This part of the class was both fun and frustrating. Up until this point, I had only used Z-Brush once (about a year and a half earlier), so I had to do some quick catching up in terms of interface. Not a big deal, but it did delay my progress a bit.

After wrestling with the software for a couple days, I was finally starting to feel comfortable using Z-Brush. With my Wacom tablet in hand, I began sculpting in the muscle areas of Sesslyth, all the while receiving feedback from my peers and Katon. By the end of the week, I was both exhausted and excited with my progress. I really felt I had accomplished something at this point.

The first rough sculpt. At this stage, only major muscle areas were important. The smaller details wouldn't come until a couple weeks later.
After feedback, and a few more hours of sculpting, Sesslyth began to resemble what would eventually be the final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment